Sew's Spot

"Sit up, join up, stir it up, get online, get in touch, find out who's raising hell and join them." Molly Ivins

Friday, March 14, 2008

Geese on the Sunrise

It was chilly this morning, frost on the windshield and all that, but as I drove over the arch of the bridge over the hideously mis-named Elgin/O'Hare Expressway (which goes to neither Elgin, nor O'Hare), the sky was a pale, pale blue with those thin, wispy and slightly lumpy silver clouds, and the newborn sun rising behind them. A wedge of geese flew north through the sunrise.

I would have taken a photo, but they were winging it fairly quickly, and I'm not sure this cheap camera would have shown anything other than a dark blur against the beautiful sunrise, and you all would have been sending me packets of lens papers and micro-fiber cloth to clean my camera's nose.

It would appear that Spring is actually springing. While there is still a mound of ice in the back garden area, each night when I come home it's a bit smaller, and some of the plants from last year have a bit of green showing, primarily the Iris.

I'm looking forward to late spring this year because I'm interested to see which of my perennials that I planted last year have survived and thrived. I'm hoping the Lavendar does, I also hope the Peony has been fruitful and multiplied. The Daffodils take care of themselves, mostly, and I would like to see some better flowering on the pink Bleeding Heart, as last year it was a bit scanty and only the all-white ones did well.

I think I will try to grow peppers this year. The woman next door did some last year and got a lot of good-sized bell peppers and some jalapenos. Can't hurt, and certainly can't do any worse than the unsuccessful zucchini!

Been pouring over the seed catalogs - I wish I had enough of a yard to plant a real veggie garden again like I had in Denver. I don't miss much about Colorado, but I sure do miss the old house. Some day I will have to go back again and visit my tree. Maybe I'll remember to bring my farking camera and take a photo of it.

311 Days

5 Comments:

  • At 4:31 PM, Anonymous Croila said…

    "Elgin" ... That is SO weird seeing you talk about Elgin. Because my parents live 62 miles away from Elgin, and they're here in Scotland. ;-)

     
  • At 1:32 AM, Blogger The Future Was Yesterday said…

    74 today...the robins have their nest completed in Ma's birdhouse. Spring is springing up there. Keep the faith!:)

     
  • At 7:24 AM, Blogger BBC said…

    It's been raining a light drizzle here for days now. I guess it would be a good time for me to plant the berry vines I bought.

     
  • At 5:03 PM, Blogger FOUR DINNERS said…

    Caz plants stuff and they grow. I water 'em (whatever they are) and, according to Caz, I talk to 'em as I water.

    I like being weird.

    Mind you I'd crap myself if they answered back

     
  • At 1:06 AM, Blogger Babzy said…

    I used to live in Elgin which is a stone's throw away from where I live now. Vancouver Lower Mainland. Sounds like everyone has their own Elgin.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home