Sew's Spot

"Sit up, join up, stir it up, get online, get in touch, find out who's raising hell and join them." Molly Ivins

Friday, June 01, 2007

My Timer Gets Attention!

A few weeks ago, Leandra sent me the cutest little toy.

It's a keyring, with a countdown timer on it - about the size of a stack of credit cards (maybe 1/4 inch thick) and with a picture (drawing) of a dejected-looking GWB on it. Yes, it counts down the Days, Hours, Minutes and even SECONDS until the next Presidential Inauguration - assuming we have one.

I hung it off the handle of my purse.

Tuesday night I stopped at Costco to get some prescription refills, and grabbed a big bag of frozen mango chunks (Sorry, Croila - I really DO love them) and a bag of frozen shrimps, so I had to hit the checkout lane. For the first time someone (the checker) noticed my little "fashion accessory".

By the time she had gotten done making a big deal over it, there were at least 5 other people clustered around - all of them voicing their approval - even a few who had been behind me in line waiting (which was nice, as I felt I had been delaying them!)

I love my little timer thingy.

In other news, AAA batteries are NOT the same as AA batteries and buying the former for an appliance that takes the latter is not a workable solution. I am pissed at me.

I will correct this tonite, however, as I need to go back to the grocery market. At lunch time yesterday I bought a package of sausage buns for my bratwurst. Last nite AFTER I had already cooked up the bratwurst and was about to bun them, I discovered that there is a thick layer of blue mold growing between the two layers of buns. They shall be returned today. While I realize that bread WILL go moldy, I don't think that it is unreasonable to think that buns bought at noon should still be non-moldy at 6 pm.

598 days (for those of you without cute little nifty count-down timers)

6 Comments:

  • At 5:31 PM, Blogger BBC said…

    My timer is on a ladies (although sometimes she doesn't sound like a lady, smile) blog that I check daily.

    Gasp !! You screwed up and did something idiot men do? Smirk. Are the batteries for a vibrator? LOL

    Moldy bread off of a store? Amazing, it's never happened to me.

    True Value just opened a new store only one block from me, big doings there today, won a free hat and got two free big hamburgers for Helen and I.

    Hey, I didn't get my hug from grouchy this morning. :-)

     
  • At 7:29 PM, Blogger Sewmouse said…

    Aw, sorry about that - was kind of not in a huggy mood earlier.

    Yeah, the bread was mouldy in the inside - the top of the bottom layer and the bottom of the top layer of buns. But they gave me a refund right quick and apologized profusely. This is a good store, it was kind of a strange thing that it happened. They were very nice, and I told them I wasn't mad but wanted them to know so they could check the rest of the buns on that shelf!

    The batteries are for this little tiny teeny toy fan I got to be silly at work - ya perv! *grin*

     
  • At 8:29 PM, Blogger Peacechick Mary said…

    Guess the timer ran out on the buns, huh?

    mango - yum. shrimp - yum.

     
  • At 11:34 AM, Blogger BBC said…

    Me a perv? Umm, yep. :-)

     
  • At 2:01 PM, Blogger Kvatch said…

    I don't think that it is unreasonable to think that buns bought at noon should still be non-moldy at 6 pm.

    Not at all! More to the point: Has anyone noticed how much spoilt food is being sold in stores? I'm having particular problems with meats. Even at Whole Foods (where I usually buy my meats and produce), I sometimes get sausages and other pork products that are already spoilt when I first open them.

    Is this just a symptom of our lousy food inspection system? Don't know, but it seems to be getting worse.

    At Safeway and Ralphs (the other stores I shop, mostly for staples), spoilt products are being left on shelves long after their expiration dates.

     
  • At 12:23 AM, Blogger BBC said…

    The spoiled food thing may be a big city problem? All things are good out here in the country.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home