Monday, April 02, 2007

Polyester

Polyester - a fabric made from oil derivitaves - essentially a plastic fabric.

Remember polyester pants from the 60's? The ones that if you sat for any appreciable amount of time would develop "knees" in them that were impossible to get out? Somewhere I still have a pair of those lurking in the "this would make an EXCELLENT cleaning rag" bin in the garage. Gah, I throw out almost nothing that I can't recycle somehow.

Granted, the makers of the plastic fabric have made enormous strides in their work, and now without actually burn-testing, some of their fabrics are so close to the real thing that it's difficult to tell. The one thing that still seems to be universally enduring is that the fabrics do not "breathe", being as they're made out of PLASTIC and all that.

Face it - if you wrap yourself up in a 100% polyester sheet, you are essentially wrapping yourself up in Saran Wrap - a sheet of plastic. Woven, of course, but plastic none the less.

So imagine my surprise when I saw an over-display "banner" ad in K-Mart for some 100% polyester socks that claimed they would keep you cool, because they would "wick away moisture" as cotton can't. How in the bloody hell does PLASTIC do anything other than make your feet sweat more profusely? And "wick away"? How does that work with plastic? More important - plastic vs. cotton???

This is just too funny.

678 days

2 comments:

Peacechick Mary said...

Believe it or not, I'm allergic to polyester. It feels like thousands of little knives cutting my skin. I found out that a lot of people can't work in the poly factories for the same reason. Those socks would never even enter my house.

BBC said...

I don't wear cotton jeans, they just don't hold up well. I wear nothing but slacks that are about sixty to one hundred percent polyester. They last me for years.

But polyester doesn't bother me at all. I think that they have made some improvements in it, science is like that ya know.

Anyway, I buy them at thrift stores and they are a good value, but maybe only in my mind, not yours. :-)

I do wear 100 percent cotton socks and undies though. And what is it with silk undies? I can't stand that stuff.