Monday, October 23, 2006

Travelogue - The Journey Down

Left later than I wanted to on Saturday morn. I slept like a rock (unusual for me) and didn't wake up until 5 a.m. My alarm clock had issues, so I didn't get "woken" up.

All in all, it wasn't too bad of a drive down to Nashville. The obligatory I-294-80/94 construction was limited to a small stretch on the "normal" side of the border, and once in Hoovier-Land (Indiana - Not Hoosier, Hoovier - because it SUCKS THAT MUCH!), In fact, I was all set to cancel my usual letter to Jim Nabors telling him that he gets the words to the Indiana State Song wrong before every Indy500 race - (it SHOULD be "We drive like JERKS...In InDIana.....) because it was clear-sailing all the way to I-65. 65 South wasn't too bad either... Until right before Louisville. I'm a yankee, but I know that it's SUPPOSED to be LOUIE-vlle, But for the rest of this trip, it shall be LOUIS..vile

There, with typical Indiana Efficiency, there was a detour to go around Louisville.... and it was so poorly marked that unless you had lived your entire life within a 5-mile radius, you wouldn't know where to go. Being a life-long Illini, and all, Naturally I got lost, turned around, lost again, and finally even had to *gasp* ASK DIRECTIONS!!

IMNSHO, Kentucky needs to be moved. I think they could put it out on the other side of West Virginia, or on top of South Carolina (which really doesn't exist anyhow) and then move Tennessee, Georgia and Florida up.

Saw a dead Bambi off the side of the road, and a bit further along, a dead headlight and a chunk of white bumper.

Made it safe to Susan's place in Tennessee about 5pm and we went out for dinner to a really nice mexican restaurant where the waiter made her youngest son - M - order in Spanish (it's because the boy started trying to get the waiter to talk to him in Spanish one time, so now - with mom's blessing - he is teaching M some new Spanish words every time they go there)

Then we went out to a Play - a theater adaptation of Dracula. Susan played a maid and her son Jonathon (already Married!! Gah, time flies) was the crazy person who eats flies. He stole the show. Afterwards, we went to the cast party, then home for bed. Quite a long day.

Got up with first light and back on the road. Georgia was wonderful until I hit the last 50 miles, then it made up for the rest of the state having no road construction. *shrug*

Dad took me out to dinner at his favorite restaurant. He used to go there a LOT with Mom, apparently, and he says he just can't bring himself to go there alone anymore. The food is freaking awesome, but its' not really a "Dad" sort of place - its' a small restaurant that is built onto a neighborhood bar.

Got some nice chicken in wine sauce over fresh spinach... it was great.

Today we went out shopping for wallpaper and came up empty handed. Then I fixed a couple of things on his computer and I'm gonna have to run in a minute to go do some dinner-making.

So far, the vacation has been good.

Toodles!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Got some nice chicken in wine sauce over fresh spinach... it was great.
"

That's what I'm having for dinner tonight :-)

Glad to hear your holiday is going well!

pissed off patricia said...

Sounds like our trip this week. Damn road construction in Jacksonville made traveling a hellish experience. We too got lost due to taking the wrong ramp and ended up in a part of town that didn't appear to be safe. We got the hell out of there and after trying for about 30 minutes finally found our way again. Whew, not fun!

Seems to me that all roads are under some kind of construction in every big town.