Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Movie Reviews!

Went to see "The DaVinci Code" yesterday. Good movie. I recommend.

Only a few things were not to my taste.

Tom Hanks is an excellent actor. He does, however, have a VERY distinctive voice. When he was just moving, or "doing" things, he was completely believeable. Every time he opened his mouth and spoke - *wham* - Tom Hanks.

Same thing with the "Grail expert" guy. Great acting... but... He's Gandalf.

Sorta blows the "total immersion" effect for me. Also, during the obligatory "car chase" scene, Ron Howard uses the annoying "hi-tech quick-flash, strobe" type effect to indicate speed. I hate that effect. It annoys me, rather than places me in a more "real" sensation.

Other than that, I really liked the effects and the way the plot of the movie synched with the book. Great adaptation.

As for the subject matter? Well - I don't discuss that crap. It's an interesting work of fiction. The author ACKNOWLEDGES it as a work of fiction in the front of the book. Those folks who choose to take offense are... IMNSHO - Morons.

But then, I am, if naught else - an Iconoclast at heart.

No comments: