Friday, September 01, 2006

Writing

A lot of what I've posted lately has been copy and pasted from other places. Shame on me - but why re-invent the wheel when someone else has taken my position and expounded upon so MUCH MORE eloquently? Please note - this paragraph has been changed since I finally decided that "eloquent" was the word I wanted to use.

Anyhow, to the subject: Writing. Ever since I was a kid I've tried to write stories. In high school we had to write a short story for English, and my teacher was impressed enough that he tried to get me to write more.

I always seem to get bogged down, however. This has resulted in pages and pages of short vignettes that never QUITE make it all the way to "story". Certainly never to "Novel".

Well, I was talking to Chris at work about this (have been off and on for over a year) and last week he lent me a book on writing called "No Plot? No Problem!" Now, this sounds right up my alley! *grin*

Anyhow - I've been reading it at lunch time and trying to pull together my thoughts again. I have a nice story, and I'd like to get it all written out, but the story is kind of in "blobs". I have a nice starting "blob" and then a few middle "blobs" that are ok - but the whole path is kind of wonky and I need to find a way to get my characters out of a cave, because they keep wanting to stop and go back and have lunch.

So I came up with this idea - a "Push yourself" writing club. My friend Carolyn from Seattle, and Chris, and me... all exchanging maybe 1 or 2 e-mails a week to try and keep focused. I'll keep you informed.

Meanwhile, I've had a headache for 2 going on 3 days. Last nite I broke down and took a vicodin because I just needed some REST - and sleeping with a headache isn't really sleeping at all. I wish I knew what was causing this.

Ok - time to go stab myself in the finger and get some breakfast. TTFN!!!

No comments: