Monday, July 31, 2006

Heat and Tests

Today is supposed to be horrid again. And tonite - and tomorrow. Tomorrow nite is supposed to be a break.

I know heat. I've lived with it for most of my life. We never had AC as a child until I was well into my 20's - and then only when things became DIRE. I know I can live with just fans, and have done. Honestly, there've only been a few nights of laying drenched in my own sweat and unable to find a cool or dry spot on the bed...

But walking into the sweet, sweet coolness of the office this morning was like entering Heaven. I will curse the cold in a few months - but right now the chill feels lovely.

Saturday I went for the stupid Glucose Tolerance test. For the uninitiated, this is where you are expected to eat nothing for 12 hours or so, then bitten by a vampire who tests your blood and bottles up the rest, then forced to drink a ghastly orangey-flavored syrup (10 ounces!!!) - and then sit bored for 2 hours until the vampire bites you again, taking 2 vials of the precious red stuff.

Whoever thinks up these "tests" has a Machiavellian sense of humor, methinks.

"Ok, Phil - what can we do to make their lives UTTERLY miserable for a few hours?"

Supposed to make a Dr.'s appointment. Meh.

No comments: