Wednesday, January 25, 2006

It's only Rock 'n Roll...

This weekend I experienced a phenomenon that took my breath away. Beside being transported back to my somewhat unruly late teen years, I got to see something most people never see. Jumpin' Jack Flash.

3 dead guys playing music. Please allow me to introduce myself...

Ok, ok - yeah, I'm being facetious - but it's really amazing that these guys who did everything "wrong" - are still going that hard at mid-60's. Hey!! You!! Get off my cloud...

Monday night I was at the United Center in Chicago, up in section 306, row 10. A bit nose-bleed, but thanks to the jumbotron screen set up behind the main stage, the view was awesome..... Much BETTER than our seats in the nose-bleed section of the old Chicago Stadium back in 1974. Not as good as the "right behind the stage" skybox tickets in 1999, but... You can't always get what you want....

For the 3rd time in my life I got to see the Rolling Stones in concert. The guy on WLUP had it right - once you've seen the Rolling Stones, everything else is JUST a concert. Yeah, when you call my name, salivate like a Pavlov dog...

But coming out of that arena - bag of overpriced souvenier merchandise in my hand, a sort of sweet, nostalgic mesmerized feeling was swimming in my head. Things I hadn't thought about in years - Susan sitting in the passenger seat next to me as we drove back down I-290, flipping off the East Avenue bridge, remembering Dippy and Chico and the night we banged up the Pinto. I sit and watch, as tears go by....

Still missing JS after all these years, sometimes. Laughter, joy and loneliness...

Was it worth the exhorbitant price of the admission ticket? The rediculous price of parking? The 2 vacation days taken to get ready for Susan coming up to visit, and to recouperate from the long night? Let's spend the night together....

OH HELL YES!!!!!!!!!!

It's only Rock 'n Roll, but I like it... like it... yes I do.

No comments: