Friday, July 01, 2005

Nicks



Nicknames. "Handles" some dorky post-cb-radio-now-internet-users call them.

My friends have 'em. I have a bunch of 'em. Most of mine come from MMORPG computer games (Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game) where I have to name a character, so I come up with some random grouping of letters that sounds "namey".

Sewmouse isn't like that. Sewmouse is the first online nick I ever had. Had to come up with something quick-like, and... well... Sew... DUH. Mouse, contrary to some beliefs that it is from the handheld computer pointing device, is actually from a Lovin' Spoonful song. (No, I will NOT type the whole lyric for you)

Over the years, I have collected a number of nicks from my fellow online folk. My friends - Vio, Leandra, Zombie Woof, Marqueax, Kalshassan, Uncle HBK, Marikus, Ellehcim, Adster.... Part of me thinks of these people as their nick, but I know each and every one of them by real-world name too - and treasure them dearly.

Somewhere on the other computer (Fred), there is my infamous list of really, really stupid online nicks - when I locate it, I'll post them. One of the members of THIS list actually became a RL boyfriend for a while after we met at a party. (Flappy the Wonder Dog - for those who have any idea).

Sewmouse. Arla. Tresennta. Suriana. Angelica Kestrel. Teika Dewsparkle. I could have chosen any of them for my nick for here... but....

This morning I cut tiny pieces from large chunks of fabric for about an hour at 5:00 a.m.

In my heart, I'm always Sewmouse.
*grin*

No comments: